Thursday, September 25, 2008

BERLIN. 21st-22nd September

(Overnighting in Berlin - after Dresden, and before Amsterdam). After leaving the Sony Centre, I walk down Unter den Linden, and buy a few souvenirs. Arriving back at the hostel, I bump into Bob on the stairs, and we find a couple of palatial armchairs to relax in. We both have an interest in history, and he goes on a lot of camping and fishing trips, and we find a lot to talk about. He has this thick American accent, and bears quite a resemblance to Alan Alda, especially when he laughs, which is often, as we both have a very similar outlook on humour. At bedtime
it turns out that there are several women in the dorm, and there is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to the loo as people go to get changed. Earlier, when we had booked in, I indulged in a bit of nifty footwork and managed to score one of the two single beds, whereas the remaining twelve are two-tier bunks with no ladders, and could be a lot of fun if the top bunk goes to the loo during the night.

My train to Amsterdam leaves at 8.39, but when I set my alarm the night before, I set it as though the train is leaving at 9.39. I don't realise this until we are half way through breakfast, when it's too late. We go to the main station, and I change my reservation to a 12.30ish train, which still gets me to Amsterdam by 7pm. Bob has already done quite a bit of travel in Europe,
while his wife has been doing likewise in Egypt, and they are catching up in Frankfurt in 3 days time. So he needs somewhere to stay, but isn't over-wrapped in the hostel. However, Berlin at the moment is chokkers, everything booked up. Finally the guy at the tourist information organises him a room at the same place where he (the tourist info guy) lives, at 50 euros a night. I have a couple of hours, and we leave our packs at the left-luggage. On the way out, 'National Lampoon's European Vacation' suddenly becomes the topic of conversation, and we are in fits, recalling moments from the movie as we reel out of the station. We go and have a look at the Soviet War Memorial, which I've already seen, and soon after I head back to the station alone. At the station there is a lot of police activity, areas being cordened off etc., and just before the train arrives there is a very loud noise, (that could be a detonation), at the rear of the station. I've just been reading about the latest developments in the New Delhi bombings, and as the train pulls out I can't help reflecting that it's a good time to be leaving Berlin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, love your idea of a hot water bottle, you are a thinker, aren't you?